Author: Luis Cobian
Operating System: Windows all
Languages: English and many International Languages
Description: Cobian Backup is a multi-threaded program that can be used to schedule and backup your files and directories from their original location to other directories/drives in the same computer or other computer in your network. FTP backup is also supported in both directions (download and upload).
Cobian Backup exists in two different versions: application and service. The program uses very few resources and can be running on the background on your system, checking your backup schedule and executing your backups when necessary. Cobian Backup is not an usual backup application: it only copies your files and folders in original or compressed mode to other destination, creating a security copy as a result. So Cobian Backup can be better described as a "Scheduler for security copies".
Cobian Backup supports several methods of compression and strong encryption.
Making Cobian Backup Portable: [edit | edit source]
Cobian Backup is a backup program that can be executed in 2 ways: as a normal application or as a Windows Service. The program can schedule automatic backups for files and directories locally or to FTP servers and can use compression and encryption.
When you set up CobainBackup as a portable application, you cannot run it as a Windows Service from your USB drive.
How to make it portable:
1. Download the the program and save it to disk then doubleclick the installation exe, or choose open to start the installation.
2. Choose your language.
3. Accept the conditions.
4. Accept the default installation directory (C:\Program Files\Cobian Backup 8).
5. Choose the installation type: "As an application (No autostart)"
6. After the installation finishes, choose "Done."
7. Create a new folder on your USB drive, call it CobianBackup (or what ever) and copy all files and folders from the installation folder except cbUninstall.exe [(C:\Program Files\Cobian Backup 8)] to the new folder you created on your USB drive.
8. Now uninstall the program. (I recommend using Revo Uninstaller as the uninstall leaves a few registry entries which Revo will remove along with the setup program.)
9. Edit the file cbEngine.ini in the Settings folder within the CobianBackup folder on your USB drive using a text editor and modify the first line to read: Current list=DB\Main List.lst.
10. Launch the program by double-clicking Cobian.exe from the new CobianBackup folder on your USB drive. You can create a short cut from the Cobian.exe file and put it anywhere you like.