Online antvirus/antitrojan Scanners Edit
Why use online scanners as opposed to downloading and installing local scanners?
- Avoid conflicts with existing security software
- Ease of management, single file scanners allows quick checks when you are not allowed to install security software.
- Some sites allow multiple engine checks.
- Quicker updates (some sites), always most up-to-date signatures (some sites)
- No real-time protection
- Requires internet access
- For full disk scans, it is generally slower than installing and scanning with local copy, although subsequent checks require only signature updates
- Uploading single files is definitely slower than scanning with an already installed scanner.
- In either case, not suitable for dial-up.
- Fewer scanning options and control than your local software copy.
- Some scanners hosted on third party sites might have signatures that lag behind the official ones.
- Single file scanners have file limits.
- Some scans do not disinfect, some only have limited scan abilities.
- Privacy/confidential issues for those that require file uploads of sensitive files.
Full disk scans Edit
Below are a list of scanners that scan your full hard-disk. The engine underlying each scan is noted so you can avoid duplication with scanners you already have. If a freeware version of the scanner (or at least roughly the same engine) is available for local use it is indicated. Most allow you to scan specific folders as well. Almost all have options to scan archives, those that do not are "tested" by scanning with a zipped version of eicar, though this is not a foolproof test. A few scanners only detect problems but do not offer to disinfect or even delete the offending file; these are indicated.
|Name||Screenshot||ActiveX required||Java required||Engine used||Freeware downloadable scanner available?||Scans selected folders?||Scans archives?||Cleans?||Notes|
|A-squared Web Malware Scanner||Yes||No||A2 Squared||A2 Squared free||Yes||Yes||Yes||Allows customized whitelist.|
|Arcaonline||100 px||Yes||No||ArcaVir||ArcaMicroScan||Yes||Yes||Yes||Does not work in default internet zone. Add http://arcaonline.arcabit.com/ to trusted zone.|
|Ahnlab or alternative||Yes||No||Ahnlabs||No||Yes||Yes||Yes||Allows backup before attempting to repair|
|Bitdefender Online||Yes||No||Bitdefender||BitDefender 8 Free Edition||Yes||Yes||Yes||Popular. Recommended.Alternative site|
|Command Online||100 px||Yes||No||Command Antivirus based on F-prot engine||No,except for unsupported F-prot dos||Yes||Yes||Yes||Similar to Freedom Online Virus Check|
|ESET Online Scanner||Yes||No||Eset NOD32||No||No||Yes||Yes||-|
|eTrust Antivirus Web Scanner||Yes||No||Etrust||One year trial||Yes||Yes||Yes||-|
|Ewido online scan||Yes||No||Ewido||AVG Anti-Spyware||No||Yes||Yes||Does memory,registry scan as well. Recommended.|
|Freedom Online Virus Check||100 px||Yes||No||F-Secure||No||Yes||Yes||Yes||Similar to Command Online.|
|F-Secure Online Virus Scanner||Yes||No||F-Secure||No||Yes||Yes||Yes||Includes scans for rootkits (Blacklight?)|
|Hauri LiveCall Scanner||100 px||Yes||No||???||No||Yes||Yes||Yes||-|
|Kaspersky Online Virus Scanner||Yes||No||KAV||MWAV or Active Virus Shield||Yes||Yes||No||French http://webscanner.kaspersky.fr/|
|McAfee FreeScan||100px||Yes||No||McAfee||No||Choose between C:, My Documents and Windows files||Yes||No||-|
|Panda ActiveScan||Yes||No||Panda||No||Yes||Yes||Yes||Does not remove spyware, dialers, hack tools and security risks. Uses TruPrevent. You can add shortcut from browser,desktop or start menu to scanner. NanoScan or ActiveScan are able to detect more than the installed, active and updated Panda security products. Popular.|
|Panda NanoScan||100px||Yes||No||Panda||No||No||No||No||Beta. Only detects Active malware.Uses TruPrevent. One minute or less to scan whole hard-disk. NanoScan or ActiveScan are able to detect more than the installed, active and updated Panda security products.|
|Panda TotalScan||100px||Yes||No||Panda||No||Yes||Yes||Yes||Checks for all type of malware. Requires free registration to disinfect.|
|PC Pitstop virus scanner||100 px||Yes||No||Panda||No||Yes||Yes||No||Pitstop also hosts McAfee FreeScan which has the same capabilities as the one hosted on McAfee.|
|Rising AV||100px||Yes||No||Rising||No||Yes||Yes||No||Took a long time to download|
|Windows Live™ OneCare™||Yes||No||RAV||No||No||Yes||Yes||-|
|Symantec Security Scan™||100px||Yes||No||Norton AV||No||No||No||No||-|
|Trend Micro HouseCall||Yes||No||Trend||No||Yes||Yes||Yes||Gives you choice of Java or Activex scanner. Popular|
|Trend Micro (Euro) HouseCall||100px||No||Yes||Trend||No||Yes||Yes||Yes||The only one that uses Java and not ActiveX.But works only in Firefox not Opera.|
|TrojanScan||100 px||Yes||No||A2 squared||A2 Squared free||Yes||Yes||Yes||This is exactly the same as the one hosted on the offical A2 squared site.|
|Virus Chaser Online Scan||100 px||Yes||No||DrWeb||Dr.Web CureIt! or Dr.WEB link checkers in your browser||Yes||Yes||Yes||Unable to get this one to work. see also http://www.viruschaser.com/enwi/4_01.jsp|
Single file scans Edit
These scanners are useful in that you don't require Java or ActiveX enabled to work. There is no need to download sizable files, you just upload the file to the site, and it gives you a reply on whether it is clean or not. Besides some privacy concerns of such scanners (you need to send the whole file through the net) , a big downside is that almost all of the existing single file scanners allow you to check only very small files. In fact, if you want to check single files, most of the time it is better to use one of the third party multiple engine scanner sites because they not only scan with more engines but also have a larger size limits. Still such multi-engine sites are often very busy and they might not have as updated signatures as the single file scanner sites which are "official".
|Name||ActiveX required||Java required||Engine used||Freeware downloadable scanner available?||Maximum File size||Notes|
|Avert(r) Labs WebImmune (registration required but free)||No||No||Mcaffee||No||3 Mb||Free Registration required, allows email submission also if greater than 3mb|
|Dr Web||No||No||Dr Web||Dr.Web CureIt! or Dr.WEB link checkers in your browser||12 Mb||The online scanning is made by the Dr.Web anti-virus with the most up-to-date virus databases updated once or twice an hour and by the special base for detection of spyware,adware and other unsolicited software.|
|Eset Online Scanner||No||No||Eset ThreatSense||No||unknown||In Slovak|
|Hitman Pro||No||No||See comments||See comments||8 Mb||HitmanPro is actually a utility to manage multiple scanners.|
|IKARUS Free Email-Scanner||No||No||Ikarus||No||1 Mb||Sent sample through email.|
|Kaspersky File Scanner||No||No||KAV||MWAV or Active Virus Shield||1 Mb||Updates every three hours ensure that even the very newest viruses can be detected.If you have several potentially suspicious files, you can check them one after the other, or create an archive file (in zip, arj or similar format) and check that. The archive should not be larger than 1 MB.|
|UNA online||No||No||UNA||No||2 Mb||-|
Multiple engine scans Edit
These sites allow you to check files against multiple AV engines. The catch is you are allowed to only check one file at the time. As you might expect, using more engines gives you greater assurance that a checked file is really clean as compared to using one engine only but it also increases the chance of one or more engines giving a false positive (it doesn't help some of the engines are set to the highest levels for heuristics). It should also be noted that the engine/definition versions employed by the online multi-engine services may lag behind the latest released for one or more of the engines although this situation steadily improved through 2006.
In the past year (2006), use of such sites have become very very popular, and as such it often takes a while to get results. Virus.Org Malware scanning service is probably currently the least well known of the sites and perhaps least busy.
|Name||ActiveX required||Java required||No of Engines used||Maximum file size||Notes|
|Jotti's malware scan||No||No||20||25Mb||Uses linux versions of scanners, might not have the same results as windows version.|
|Virus.Org Malware scanning service||No||No||18||Unknown||-|
|VirusTotal||No||No||31||32 Mb||VirusTotal Updater is a tool for sending samples to VirusTotal that you can download here. Once installed, you'll have the 'Send to -> VirusTotal' option in the Windows contextual menu when you right-click on a file. Once the file transfer is done, you'll get the reply through the web interface using your browser|
Sandboxing single file scans Edit
Probably more useful for advanced users.
|Name||Technique used||Maximum file size||Notes|
|Anubis||System emulation (Qemu)||Unknown||Results obtained directly in browser or via email, protects against attempts to check for virtualization and more|
|Joebox||Function intercepting||No limit||Submit by email to email@example.com|
|PC Tools Threat Expert||Unknown||Unknown||Results via email|
|Norman Sandbox||System emulation||Unknown||Results via email|
|Sunbelt Sandbox||Function intercepting||8 Mb||Results via email, Alternative demo site|
Other Online scanners (mostly antispyware) Edit
- Aluria - Free Spyware Scanner - http://www.aluriasoftware.com/index.php?menu=litescan
- CounterSpy Spyware Scan - http://www.sunbelt-software.com/dell/scan.cfm
- Earthlink Scanner - http://www.earthlink.net/software/nmfree/spyscan/
- myNetWatchman SecCheck - http://www.mynetwatchman.com/tools/sc/ - Uses ClamAV and F-secure + hash checks, behavior checks and audit checks.
- MySpyZero - http://global.ahnlab.com/global/products/myspyzero.html
- Panda Xposer - http://www.pandasoftware.com/products/spyxposer/com/
- Pest Patrol online scanner - http://store.ca.com/v2.0-img/operations/safer/site/ab/promo53025scan.htm and http://www.pestpatrol.com/pestscan/index.htm
- RegFreeze - http://www.actualresearch.com/rf_onlinescan.php
- Tenebril - http://www.tenebril.com/scanner/main_start.php
- Trend Antispy for web - http://www.trendmicro.com/spyware-scan/
- Webroot spy audit- http://www.webroot.com/services/spyaudit_03.htm and http://www.webroot.com/services/entaudit/index.php
- Xcleaner - http://www.spywareguide.com/onlinescan.php also http://www.spywareinfo.com/xscan.php
- ZoneAlarm Spyware Scanner - http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/promotions/spywarescanner/index.jsp?dc=12bms&ctry=US&lang=en and http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/promotions/spywaredetector/index4.html
Parasite Activex Check Edit
- Aumha check (limited to Activex controls) - http://www.aumha.org/a/noads.php and http://www.microwavecookingforone.com/ParasiteCheck.html
- Computer Helpdesk - http://helpdesk.uvic.ca/security/adware/adware_check.html
- Doxdesk.com - Parasite Check (limited to Activex controls)- http://www.doxdesk.com/parasite/
Freeware Anti-Viruses | Freeware Anti-Spyware | Freeware Anti-Trojans | Freeware Anti-Keyloggers | Freeware Anti-Rootkits | Freeware Firewalls | Freeware Behavior blockers | Freeware Sandboxes | Freeware Virtualization | Freeware Security analysis tools | Freeware Hardening tools | Freeware Blocklists | Freeware security services (excluding virus scanners) | Freeware Anti-Phishing | List of portable tools | List of unclassified tools
Related : Lists of online scanners